Veterans Services

Message from the Coroner:

Please accept on behalf of my office and the citizens of St. Tammany Parish, our sincere gratitude for your honorable service to our country.  As a Veteran or a Veteran’s dependent, there are special benefits available to you to help plan for eventual final arrangements.  The path to accessing these services can be daunting at times, so my office, in partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs, has assembled this information to help you navigate the process.

May God bless you and your loved ones.  Please feel free to contact my office at any time that we may assist you.

Charles A. Preston M.D.

VA Burial Benefits:

Honorably Discharged Veterans are entitled to burial and memorial services at no cost including:

  • A gravesite for casketed or cremated remains
  • A headstone or grave marker
  • Perpetual care of the gravesite
  • A committal service at the cemetery
  • Playing of taps
  • Ceremonial flag folding and presentation
  • Spousal or dependent burial (minimum fee)
  • Distinguished service burial at Arlington National Cemetery, if qualified


DD214 Document:

To confirm eligibility for Veterans benefits and honors, proof of honorable active military service is required.  The most common document for this purpose is the DD214, also known as the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.  If you do not have a copy of this form, there are several options.  First, look in your veteran’s important files or safety deposit box, as many veterans know this document’s importance and usually preserve it.  It is also common that a DD214 is registered at a domicile Clerk of Court Office.  Check with your Parish Clerk’s office (or with the office of the clerk in the county or parish where the veteran lived at the time he was discharged from active duty).

If you need assistance with obtaining document DD214:

Contact your local LADV benefits advisor listed on the previous page for assistance.

Contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office for assistance in obtaining a copy.  Their phone number is 800-535-1111.

Contact the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis and submit a SF180, or Standard Form 180, that can be downloaded from the VA website, to request records.

Some records may be available online through the National Archives website at

Some other documents may be accepted for proof of service, such as an identification card, or Certificate of Honorable Discharge.  A complete list of accepted documents is available on the VA website.

Grief Counseling LOD Deaths


Veterans Mental Health Resources

Longbranch Recovery N.O.R.A. House


Victory Recovery Center Veterans Program


Covington Behavioral Health Service Program


National Alliance Mental Illness NAMI


Avenues Active Military and Veterans



Military Honors

Navy: SW Naval Region


Marine Corps: Inspector Instructor Office


Army: Casualty Assistance Section

337-531-6316 or 318-531-1726

Air Force: Barksdale AFB Honor Guard

318-456-5246 or 318-564-8146

Coast Guard

504-253-6361 or 504-628-5270


Southeast Louisiana Veterans Cemetery

34888 Grantham College Drive

Slidell, LA  70460


Fax: 985-646-6481


St. Tammany Veterans Affairs

West: Mike Perfinski


1301 N. Florida Street

Covington, LA  70433

[email protected]


East: Devon John


520 Old Spanish Trail – Suite 2E

Slidell, LA  70458

[email protected]